The trees are budding, the flowers are in bloom, and spring is finally in full throttle, which means it’s the season for one of those inevitable life events – moving! While many people find moving to be a dreaded and chaotic hassle, we believe it doesn’t have to be such a stressful endeavour. Here we Read More…
First Rate Movers Inc includes $250,000 of Full Replacement Value Insurance coverage in its rates for all “full-service” moves. This is not “valuated” insurance or a “protection plan” but rather real coverage directly through the insurance company. This is the best coverage that a moving company can afford it’s clients. If anything is lost or damaged, the moving company must offer to repair the item, reimburse with cash, or replace it with an item of similar likeness and value. Employees are also bonded and insured through WSIB and the company carries a $2,000,000 liability policy to protect itself and it’s clients.
As with any insurance coverage, there is a deductible on claims. We charge a $200 deductible to initiate a claims process which helps the company to avoid frivilous claims such as the cost of repairing scratched paint on a wall or replacing a flimsy $10 wall mirror. Obviously, if the company allowed claims for such minor incidents, our insurance rates would rise and we would not be able to afford such excellent coverage for more important issues. Payment for moving services rendered along with payment of the deductible must be made in full before any claims will be processed.
As with all moving companies, there are certain items that will not be insured at all or that must be professionally packed or crated by an agent of the moving company in order to be insured against damage. Packing and/or crating services are handled by a separate crew at additional cost, generally require a site-visit, and must be arranged well in advance of moving day. The following are limitations as to what will be covered by insurance and how things will be insured. Insurance will not cover:
- Flat-screen televisions, monitors, projectors, computers, printers, copiers, stereos, speakers, or any other small appliances/electronics unless packed in specialized boxes/crates by an agent of First Rate Movers prior to the day of the move.
- Mechanical or electronic functions of instruments, appliances or electronics as the movers would have no way of knowing how well these items worked or if the were functional at all. These items would only be covered if they suffered obvious physical damage at the hands of our moving crew.
- Any item with an assessed value exceeding $5000 unless approved by management.
- Paintings, works of art, natural stone (marble, granite, etc), glass or mirrors, grandfather clocks or other large fragile items such as sculptures or chandeliers unless documented and properly packed in specialized boxes or crated by an agent of First Rate Movers.
- Articles in drawers or contents of boxes/packages not packed and unpacked by an agent of the First Rate Movers. Obviously, the company would not want to take responsibility for a damaged item that they did not know the condition of prior to moving it.
- Particle board, press board or brittle antique furniture. No moving company will insure these as they are high risk for damage. Particle board and pressboard furniture usually come disassembled in a box and the customer puts the furniture together themselves. This kind of furniture comes disassembled for a reason – it does not transport well when assembled and is very likely to suffer damage. As well, this furniture is usually assembled by the customer and may not have been assembled properly.
- Any furniture that the customer does not allow the movers to properly pad and/or wrap.
- Plants, pets, or anything living – the environment inside the cargo hold of the moving truck is not suitable for transport of living things.
- Sums of money, securities, articles of extraordinary value such as gold, silver, or precious stones. Items of high value such as these should never be placed on a moving truck. It would be very difficult to show proof of their condition or that they even existed.
- Memory foam or latex mattresses unless packed in mattress boxes or any mattress that the crew is required to bend or fold during the moving process.
- Damage to linoleum, laminate, or other forms of fabricated flooring.
- Items lost that have not been inventoried by the company – for obvious reasons.
- Damages resulting from natural disasters or other causes beyond the control of the company.
- Any damage resulting from the interference or assistance of a customer or other(s) in the moving or packing process.
- Damages to any item loaded to or from a vehicle not owned, leased, or otherwise contracted by First Rate Movers.
- Any damages resulting from the transport of restricted items including: liquids, combustibles, corrosives, perishable food, soil, pets, plants or guns.
See the types of insurance coverage offered by moving companies.