Moving can be stressful but it doesn’t have to be. Here are just 5 ways a moving company will take the stress out of your move. Moving Large, Bulky Items So You Don’t Have To Have you ever tried to lift a big screen TV, sofa or piano? It’s not an easy task, even with Read More…
Print and refer to our handy moving checklist prior to your move:
ONE MONTH PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Change address with SmartMoves.ca.
- Notify doctors, dentists, and other service providers.
- Order moving and packing supplies.
- Contact charitable organizations regarding household items to be donated.
- Sort and discard unwanted items.
- Confirm elevator, loading dock, parking space reservations at origin and destination.
- Begin packing, clearly labeling boxes with name, contents, and room destination.
TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Notify registry of motor vehicles.
- Notify telephone company.
- Notify electric company.
- Notify gas company.
- Notify alarm company.
- Notify cable company.
- Notify water company.
- Notify oil company.
- Make arrangements for disassembly of difficult furniture
- Remove all permanently affixed items from walls (e.g. drapes, lighting fixtures, ceiling fans).
ONE WEEK PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Confirm date and time with moving company.
- Provide moving company with new telephone number.
- Remove fragile and loose items from drawers.
- Notify gas company to schedule disconnection of gas dryers and stoves.
- Start moving uninsured and precious items (eg. plants, unpacked electronics, figurines, etc …)
ONE DAY PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Consolidate fragile boxes in one area.
- Separate items not intended for transport by movers.
- Confirm telephones are in working order at both locations.
- Refrigerators and freezers must be defrosted, drained, washed and thoroughly dried.
- Drain water bed.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn mowers and snow blowers.
- Clear walkways and driveway for improved access during inclement weather.
- Isolate checkbook, keys, cash and credit cards.
- If paying cash, withdraw enough to cover the move. (people often forget they have daily withdrawal limits on ATMs)