Going through the motions of the moving process is challenging and stressful enough. But when you have children it can present some unique challenges that impact your packing process. But kids are more willing to get involved when you allow them. You can designate some specific tasks for your children to keep them busy and Read More…
Print and refer to our handy moving checklist prior to your move:
ONE MONTH PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Change address with SmartMoves.ca.
- Notify doctors, dentists, and other service providers.
- Order moving and packing supplies.
- Contact charitable organizations regarding household items to be donated.
- Sort and discard unwanted items.
- Confirm elevator, loading dock, parking space reservations at origin and destination.
- Begin packing, clearly labeling boxes with name, contents, and room destination.
TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Notify registry of motor vehicles.
- Notify telephone company.
- Notify electric company.
- Notify gas company.
- Notify alarm company.
- Notify cable company.
- Notify water company.
- Notify oil company.
- Make arrangements for disassembly of difficult furniture
- Remove all permanently affixed items from walls (e.g. drapes, lighting fixtures, ceiling fans).
ONE WEEK PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Confirm date and time with moving company.
- Provide moving company with new telephone number.
- Remove fragile and loose items from drawers.
- Notify gas company to schedule disconnection of gas dryers and stoves.
- Start moving uninsured and precious items (eg. plants, unpacked electronics, figurines, etc …)
ONE DAY PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Consolidate fragile boxes in one area.
- Separate items not intended for transport by movers.
- Confirm telephones are in working order at both locations.
- Refrigerators and freezers must be defrosted, drained, washed and thoroughly dried.
- Drain water bed.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn mowers and snow blowers.
- Clear walkways and driveway for improved access during inclement weather.
- Isolate checkbook, keys, cash and credit cards.
- If paying cash, withdraw enough to cover the move. (people often forget they have daily withdrawal limits on ATMs)