When it comes to packing for a move, the last items that normally get packed are your appliances. Since these are not only the most used, but also usually the most expensive items you will be moving, you want to ensure they are well protected during transportation. You also want to avoid any mold or Read More…
Learning that you are expecting a baby is a common impetus for couples to move. That awesome loft in the Byward Market may have been an awesome place to live when you were kid-free, but once you become expectant parents your needs change and that Barrhaven townhome looks a lot more attractive.
However, you have an important decision to make. Should you move before the child arrives so you can be all settled into the new home by the due date? Or should you wait until after the baby is born so you don’t have to go through the stress of moving while pregnant? Let’s explore the pros and cons of both options.
The Benefits of Moving Before the Baby Comes
- Trying to do anything when you have a newborn baby can feel like an impossible feat. Now imagine house hunting, negotiating the purchase price, doing all the paperwork, packing your things, and then moving when you’ve got the world’s crankiest neighbour – no fun.
- The nesting instinct is real and peaks in the third trimester. If you move before the baby comes, you’ll be able to get the house in perfect order three times over.
- Babies are all about routine, and moving early in their life can upset important things like their feeding and sleep schedule. Moving before the baby comes means there will be no interruption in routine.
The Benefits of Moving After the Baby Arrives
- Being pregnant ranges from uncomfortable to painful. Your back aches, your feet swell, you walk with a waddle…it’s no fun. Now imagine being in that position and trying to move house. Of course hiring professional movers makes this easier, but it’s still a headache you don’t need in the late stages of pregnancy.
- With the baby bump gone, it will be a lot easier to set-up and organize the new space.
- With the baby finally here, you’ll have a better understanding of what you need from your space. For example, only after having the new baby do you realize how much space a baby takes up with clothes, diapers, toys, and gear. Plus…what if you have twins?
- Your new baby provides an instant topic of conversation to neighbours, allowing you to make new friends and connections right away without that awkward introduction.
No matter which option you choose, First Rate Movers is here to help. Our professional moving company in Ottawa will get you settled into your new place quick and easy so you can focus on what matters most: starting a new chapter in your life.