Are you planning a move from Ottawa to the Greater Toronto Area? Did you know that you can save big when you coordinate your move through First Rate movers? Find out more below! Classification Moving from Ottawa to Toronto is not considered a ‘local’ move but rather a long distance move. Pricing for Read More…
Moving your entire home and everything within is not always an easy decision. First you have to choose if you want to move alone, with the help of friends, or with the assistance of movers. Even if you choose movers, there is a big difference between a couple of guys with a pickup truck and a professional, reputable Ottawa moving company like First Rate Movers.
You want to find a moving company that is reliable, will take good care of your possessions and not leave you with a gaping hole in the bank when all is said and done. When the stressful woes of moving day arrive, you need to feel confident that the process – and your belongings – are in good hands.
Doing a little research beforehand and asking the right questions can help guide you in finding Ottawa movers that you can trust. Here are some crucial questions that you should ask prospective moving companies in Ottawa before making that final decision.
Insurance, Liabilities, Rights and Responsibilities
• Is the company insured? Can they provide the insurance name and policy number?
• Can the company provide you with a written outline of mover and customer rights, responsibilities, and liabilities for damaged or lost items?
• Does the company abide by the terms of the Good Practice Guidelines for Canadian Movers?
• Who will be providing all of the services – unpacking, storage, equipment – and what sub-contractor companies are being used? Can they provide their records and references?
When it comes to a reputable moving company, they should be able to provide you with a good answer to all of these questions. The most important factor is to ensure your items are protected, along with your rights for any lost or damaged items.
Quote for Services
• For long distance moves, do you provide a quote based upon a visitation and assessment of my belongings?
• Can you provide me with a written estimate, including delivery date and specific individual names that I’ve spoken to?
• Can I have the detailed information about the movers that will be handling the process out of the country?
• Can you provide me with the number of hours that a local move will take?
For a quote of services, any reputable company should schedule a visit that includes an assessment of your belongings for long distance moves in order to provide you with an accurate quote. Always give accurate information about your destination address and always get a copy of the estimate and hours in writing.
The Finer Details
• What are the terms of the Replacement Value Protection policy? What’s the deductible? Can I have that in writing?
• How is payment handled? Is a deposit required? Will it be placed into a trust? Is it refundable?
• Should I seal and label my boxes?
You always want to cover your own bases, and that means not only inquiring about their insurance and replacement policy, but also inquiring about your own. And remember, always get as many details as you can and have them provided in writing. Do you have any questions about the moving process? Get in touch with First Rate Movers; we’d be happy to discuss our services and answer any questions you have about moving.